Advanced annual leave


Q. My husband is starting a new job with the Defense Department. However, I have planned a two-day vacation that he is not aware of. What are his leave options in the government? Since he is a new employee, would have no annual leave. Would you advise for him to take leave without pay? Would this put any blemish in his record? Or can he do advanced leave?

A. His only option is to tell his supervisor about the situation and see if the supervisor, in his sole discretion, would be willing to allow him to go on leave without pay or grant him advanced annual leave.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply