Service computation date


Q. I entered active duty with the Army on Sept. 16, 2002, and got an honorable discharge for medical reasons on Nov. 5, 2003. Those dates were recorded on my DD-214. I joined the federal civilian workforce in May 2004, and that federal agency calculated my service computation date as March 12, 2003. I think this calculation is wrong. If it is, which documents should I reference to have this corrected? And whom should I contact for the correction, as I just transferred to another federal agency?

A. You’ll find the definition of creditable service and the methodology used for crediting it at If you have any questions, ask your agency to show you how they applied that methodology to your case.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply