Refund on military deposit?


Q. I have paid the military buyback but am in the process of increasing my disability rating through the Veterans Affairs Department. This would not be advantageous for me to combine my military with civilian service in the federal government. Can I ask for a refund of the military buyback? What is the form or process I would use to do this?

A. No, you cannot get a refund of your deposit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply