Service computation date and break in service


Q. I am a retired airman who served from Aug. 9, 1978, to Sept. 1, 1998. I entered federal service at Defense Finance and Accounting Services on April 12, 1999, serving until Aug. 31, 2007 — eight years, four months and 19 days. We had a reduction in force and closed Aug. 31, 2007. I had a break in service until July 20, 2008. when I started at the Department of Veterans Affairs, where I still work. My old service computation date was April 12, 1999. What should my new SCD be with that 10-month, 19-day break?

A. Your new service computation date would be determined by working backward, a day at a time, from the date on which you re-entered government until all that prior service was accounted for.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply