Staying an extra year in 6c


Q. I have 14 years of noncovered government time and currently serve with 12 years of 6c covered time. I was hired into the 6c position at age 38 and suggested that I would serve until age 58 instead of 57. Will I have to make special arrangements to stay the extra year?

A. No, you don’t have to make special arrangements. By law, if you reach the standard mandatory separation age and haven’t completed the required 20 years of service, your separation will be postponed to the last day of the month in which you have completed 20 years.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply