VERA and switching FEHB


Q. Both my spouse and I are federal employees and our Federal Employees Health Benefits coverage is under my name (self and family). If my spouse is approved for a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority, can we switch to have coverage under her name? She will have had coverage under my policy for five years, but it is not specifically under her name. I ask since that would give me the option to leave federal service at some point in the future and still have FEHB coverage under her policy?

A. You could do that during the annual open season.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply