CSRS Offset


Q. Under CSRS Offset, I worked for the federal government from 1973 to 1987, withdrew my retirement, then worked for private industry, paying Social Security from 1988 to 2007. Finally, in 2007, I returned to work for the federal government and stayed with the CSRS Offset retirement.

When I retire, how will my Social Security vs. CSRS Offset be paid? Since I have contributed to Social Security for approximately 20 years, would this not be a normal CSRS Offset situation?

A. Yes. If you were already retired, at age 62 your CSRS annuity would be offset only by the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while covered by CSRS Offset. If you retired at or after reaching age 62, the reduction would occur on the day you retired.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply