Repaying CSRS as a retiree


Q. I have 22 years of federal service: 10½ years in the Air Force and 11½ in the Defense Department, leaving as a GM-14 in 1990. I was under CSRS and took the small lump sum when I left. Can I repay into the system and qualify for an annuity? I am 62½ years old.

A. No, you can’t. You would only be able to redeposit that money, plus interest, if you were a current employee of the federal government.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply