Government retirement after less than a year


Q. I spent a little less than 10 years in the Navy, leaving with an honorable discharge, having served in Vietnam. Within two years of leaving the service, I worked for the civil service for less than a year. I am now older than 62; am I eligible for civil or federal service retirement? I have paid into Social Security and am collecting.

A. Since you weren’t vested in the civilian retirement system, you aren’t eligible for an annuity. You’ll have to check with your branch of service to see if you are entitled to any military benefits.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply