Questions on insurance and nonfederal service transfer


Q. If I have 25 years of service and I am 52 and I have health insurance for 15 years, can I take my health insurance with me if I retire this year? Can you go from a federal job to a state job and have your service time go on? Or can you go from a state job to a federal job and have your service time go on?

A. Unless your agency offers you an opportunity to retire early, you can’t retire. You don’t meet the age and service requirements to do that. Your federal service wouldn’t be creditable if you take a nonfederal job, nor would any nonfederal time be creditable if you returned to federal service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply