Annuity calculation for part-time work


Q. I was hired in 1985 as rural carrier relief, then converted to rural carrier associate. I became full time in January 1995. I was allowed to buy back time for 1985-89. Do I receive full credit for four years toward retirement? How is the time from 1985-89 counted?

A. You’ll find the method used to compute an annuity that includes part-time service at


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply