Retirement pay eligibility


Q. I worked for the Interstate Commerce Commission from September 1984 to September 1994. Will I be eligible to collect retirement benefits when age appropriate?

A. Yes, if you didn’t take a refund of your retirement contributions when you left government. Because you had at least five years of service, you could apply for a deferred annuity at your minimum retirement age (MRAs range from 55 to 57 depending on your year of birth). However, your annuity would be reduced by 5 percent for every year you were under age 62, unless you postponed the receipt of your annuity to a later date to reduce or eliminate the age penalty.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply