Rehire and annuity computation


Q. I retired from federal service after 26 years. I became a rehired annuitant with a waiver for several years and could not participate in any retirement service. I am now returning to federal service without a waiver and without a break in service knowing my income will be reduced by my retirement annuity. Will I return to CSRS or FERS retirement system in this new capacity? If I stay for more than one year, will my final retirement annuity be refigured?

A. You will be placed in CSRS, the retirement system from which you retired, with the option of electing to be covered by FERS. If you work for at least one year, you’ll receive a supplemental annuity when you leave. If you work for at least five years, you’ll receive a re-determined annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply