Deferred annuity?


Q. I am 59 years old. I worked for the federal government from August 1978 to January 1981, had a break in service, then started over again in May 1982 until Dec. 31, 1999, with the Panama Canal Commission. Am I eligible for deferred annuity?

A. If you left your contributions in the retirement fund, you may be entitled to a deferred annuity at age 62. To find out, during the year in which you will turn 62, go to and click on Find Form(s). Open up and complete Standard Form 2801, Application for Immediate Retirement, and send it to OPM. If you are eligible, OPM will let you know and begin processing your case.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply