Survivor annuity


Q. My husband worked for the federal government for about 40 years under CSRS, and he is now receiving a generous monthly pension. I worked various part-time jobs over the years, and I currently work for the federal government. When I retire, I will have worked less than 20 years under FERS, so I will be entitled to a small federal pension, and Social Security. Our primary source of income is my husband’s CSRS retirement.

If my husband should predecease me, I know I will receive a widow’s pension of approximately 55 percent of what he is currently receiving. Would there be any offset? In other words, let us say that I am entitled to receive $4,000 a month from CSRS widow’s benefit + $1,000 a month from my FERS retirement + $1,000 a month in Social Security benefits. Since my husband is under CSRS, would there be any government offset, or would I be entitled to the entire $6,000 per month?

A. You would be entitled to the entire amount.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply