Delaying Social Security


Q. I am a FERS retiree. I switched from CSRS in the late 1990s and receive $850 monthly in Social Security. My wife, who was a stay-at-home mom, will turn 62 this year. Under her earnings (she barely met the 40 quarters), we estimate she will be entitled to $375 per month. I am being told by a previous co-worker that my wife can delay her Social Security until 66, when the amount will be significantly higher, but she can draw as my spouse, receiving $425 per month. Is this correct?

A. Yes. For more information, go to


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply