Active duty, guard and buyback for federal civilian service


Q. I have completed 10 years of active-duty service and 11 years in the National Guard (I am still in the guard). I have been employed by the Department of Labor (GS12/FERS) for the last 10 years. I bought back my 10 years of active-duty service. My questions are:

1. Was I eligible to buy back my 10 years of active duty, seeing as how I can now retire from the guard?

2. If I am eligible, does that mean I have 20 years with the Department of Labor (10 active plus 10 in the department itself)?

A. 1) Yes, you were eligible to make a deposit to get credit for your active-duty service, and doing so would have no effect on your entitlement to retired pay from the National Guard. 2) Having made a deposit for your active duty means that you now have 20 years of creditable civilian service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply