Canceling retirement application


Q. I wish to retire Dec. 1. I am CSRS. After I had submitted retirement papers and everything was set for me to retire, something may come up that would cause me to cancel my retirement (possible buyout, economy). What is the correct procedure to cancel my retirement? My research cannot find the procedure in writing anywhere. Is it a certified, notarized letter? Is it a phone call? To what address should the cancellation be sent? Who to call?

A. To cancel your retirement application, at a minimum you would need to inform your supervisor and your personnel office, which would return your application to you. However, be aware that if your position has been abolished or someone has already been hired to fill it, your agency may reject your request.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply