Receiving pay for home leave


Q. I retired from federal service in September. While I was working in Europe, I earned home leave, and it has remained on my leave and earnings statement since I returned to the continental Unites States in 2004. Will I receive pay for it when I retire?

A. As a rule, home leave may be taken only during service abroad or within a reasonable period after you return from service abroad and are expected to return to service abroad immediately or on completion of an assignment in the U.S. Since home leave is grated at the discretion of an agency, you’ll have to check with yours to see how it’s handled.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Comments are closed.