Service withdrawal payback


Q. I withdrew $4,000 after leaving federal service. I returned and plan on retiring after 30 years of service. I intend to pay back the withdrawal. Can I repay after I retire to regain the years I lost when I withdraw? Or do I have to repay while I’m still employed in federal service?

A. You have to complete the redeposit, plus accrued interest, while you are employed by the federal government.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Comments are closed.