Military payback after retirement?


Q. I am paying back more than nine years of active-duty Air Force service and I still owe $6,000. I am considering retiring next month under FERS. Can I continue to make those payments from my annuity check while ensuring I get full credit for my military time?

A. No, you cannot. If you haven’t completed the deposit by the time your annuity is finalized, the money you have deposited will be refunded to you.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Comments are closed.