Survivor benefits


Q. My husband has been receiving federal retirement income each month.  He passed away in July, and I have submitted the paperwork to receive a portion of his retirement. I also would like to have the medical insurance payment taken out each month so I can receive the insurance coverage.

He has Blue Cross/Blue Shield federal employee coverage and, as his wife, I wish to continue the coverage for myself. I have tried to reach the Blue Cross office in Dallas, and all I get is a recording regarding various medical information and cannot get a customer representative to speak to me. What phone number can I use to inform Blue Cross about continuing the coverage, and how do I get the paperwork to change the card from my husband’s name to mine?

A. You need to call the Office of Personnel Management’s Retirement Information Office at 1-888-767-6738 and talk to one of their benefits specialists.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Comments are closed.