CSRS or offset upon rehire?


Q. I am a returning civil service employee, first hired in August 1982 under CSRS. I was employed for 16+ years, then left for 13 years of military service. I am getting rehired in a federal position. Will I be reinstated under full CSRS or CSRS Offset? I did not take a refund, I am collecting a military retirement, and paid Social Security since 1975. I intend to work for five years. Will I be subject to the windfall elimination provision?

A. You will be placed in CSRS Offset because you had a break in service that exceeded one year. You will be subject to the windfall elimination provision unless, when you apply for a Social Security benefit, you have at least 30 years of substantial earnings under Social Security.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Comments are closed.