Federal retirement contributions


Q. I am recently separated from federal service as a law enforcement officer after nine years and 11 months. I am making the necessary arrangements to have my TSP transferred, but no one can tell me what amount is in the regular retirement fund, which I believe is the FERS one. I am electing to have that one paid directly to me and be subject to the taxes and penalties.

Am I eligible to receive the federal contributions to that as well as my own over the last almost 10 years?

A. The amount of your FERS contributions is posted on each of your biweekly pay slips. While you will receive a refund of that money, with interest, you won’t receive any of the money contributed by your agency.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply