Q. I’m retiring in January and am a 58-year-old CSRS Offset employee with 35+ years of creditable service. My service computation date is in November 1977, although seven years were temporary civil service prior to my permanent hiring in March 1984.

1. Will the windfall elimination provision apply to me?

2. If I buy back my post-1982 temp time, will that have an effect on whether or not the WEP will apply to me? My current Social Security statement shows my SSA earnings started in 1970, if that makes any difference.

A. The rule governing the windfall elimination provision is clear. It applies to anyone who: 1) receives an annuity — in whole or part — from a retirement system, such as CSRS, where Social Security deductions weren’t taken from his pay; and 2) has fewer than 30 years of substantial earnings under Social Security. To see what the term “substantial earnings” means and how having fewer than 30 years of them would affect your Social Security benefit, go to www.ssa.gov/pubs/10045.html.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply