Retirement options under FERS


Q. I am a 43-year-old federal employee, and I had seven years of military time and so far 15 years of service under FERS. I have made a deposit for my military time, so I am at 23 years. I just made GS-11. What is the option for retiring at the end of that three-year period as a GS-11 for my high-three?

A. There is no option because you won’t meet the age and service requirements to retire on an immediate annuity: age 62 with five years of service, 60 with 20, at your minimum retirement age with 30 or at your MRA with 10 but fewer than 30. If you don’t want to stick around until you meet one of those combination, the only thing you could do is leave government and apply for a deferred annuity when you reach age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply