Retiree returning to federal service


Q. I am thinking about returning to work for the federal government. I retired in November 2010, with 35 years of federal service at the GS-12 level. I have a 17-year-old graduating for high school, and he will need financial assistance. If I got a job at the GS-6 level, how would that affect my annuity? I would be under the old retire system CSRS.

A. Your new salary would be offset by the amount of your annuity. Therefore, taking a job at the GS-6 level would reduce your new salary to the point where it might not be worth the effort.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply