Government pension offset


Q. Will I benefit from my husband’s Social Security pension once he applies for benefits at full retirement age? Beginning Jan. 3, I will begin collecting CSRS retirement. My husband (a retired lieutenant colonel) indicated that once he reaches full retirement age, he’ll apply for Social Security benefits and that I will be entitled to a spouse’s pension from his benefit. I think that, because my CSRS pension is so high ($75,000), my benefit will offset any benefit I would be eligible to receive from him.

A. Because you are receiving an annuity from a retirement system where you didn’t pay Social Security taxes, you’ll be subject to the government pension offset. The GPO will reduce your Social Security spousal benefit by $2 for every $3 you receive in your CSRS annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply