Service computation date and breaks in service


Q. When I initially joined federal service overseas, my original service computation date was March 4, 1982. Due to two small breaks in service (coming back from overseas under excepted service to a temporary job and then the break from the end of the temporary job to gaining a permanent position), my SCD was adjusted to April 3, 1983. I have since paid back the monies for the breaks in service (with the OPM documentation to prove it), but don’t understand why my SCD has not reverted back to the original date of March 4, 1982. Why doesn’t the SCD change?

A. Your SCD couldn’t be the same as your original SCD because no service credit is given for breaks in service when you weren’t an employee of the federal government. On the other hand, if you have made a deposit to get credit for periods of service where retirement deductions weren’t taken from you pay, those should be reflected in your SCD. Since the deposit was made to OPM, they will have that information in their files; however, your agency may not. You’ll need to give copies of your deposit documentation to your personnel office so they can update your OPF and reset your SCD.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply