Relocate or retire?


Q. I am a 50-year-old FERS Postal Service employee with 25 years in. If my processing plant closes, am I offered a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority at that point? Can I retire instead of relocating?

A. Whether or not a VERA is offered, if you receive a reduction-if-force notice, you could retire on an immediate annuity. That’s because an employee with 25 years of service who is facing involuntary separation can retire at any age.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply