Excessed employee and accrued sick leave


Q. If you’re a FERS employee without the age or years to retire and are told you will be excessed to another office and want to leave the Postal Service instead of taking the new position, what happens to your accumulated sick leave?

A. It will be retained in your official records. If you return to to work for the government, that sick leave will be restored.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply