Combine Postal, reserve service?


Q. I am a postal employee looking to continue my service with the Army Reserve. Child care cost is about to pass my income level with the Postal Service. With my wife as the main bread winner, we are considering having me separate from the Postal Service to be a homemaker. I have 15 years with the Postal Service and some military time. If I enter the Army Reserve, could I combine my Postal Service years with the reserve retirement?

A. No, you can’t. There is no provision in law that would permit you to get credit for your civilian service. In order not to lose the benefit you have already accrued as a Postal Service employee, you might want to leave your retirement contributions in the retirement fund when you resign. Then, at age 62, you could apply for a deferred retirement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply