VISTA and creditable service


Q. I am looking into my retirement options. I have 28 years as a FERS employee. I was also in VISTA from 1978 to 1979. I would like to know what I need to do for that year to be counted as creditable service. I have spent the last two years trying to get this information from my human resources department and other retirement counselors. Everyone is familiar with buying back military time, but no one appears to know the specifics for VISTA. Can you help?

A. That’s shameful. All those folks needed to do was consult the Office of Personnel Management’s CSRS and FERS Handbook for Personnel and Payroll Offices. You’ll find what you need by going to www.opm/gov/retire/pubs/handbook/C020.pdf and scrolling down to Section 20A2.1-2, which applies to both CSRS and FERS employees.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply