Special retirement supplement


Q. I would like to retire this year. I will be 56 in September with 34 years of creditable service — 28 under FERS and six years of military time that I bought back. Will I be eligible for the special retirement supplement, along with a FERS retirement? Or will I have to work for two more years under FERS to get the SRS?

A. Because you will have reached your minimum retirement age, you’ll be entitled to receive the special retirement supplement when you retire. However, the SRS will be based solely on the years you were covered by FERS. The active-duty service for which you made a deposit will not be included in that computation.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply