Special retirement supplement calculation


Q. I retired under a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority offered in 2009. Because I was below my minimum retirement age, I will not be eligible for my special retirement supplement until July, when I will become 56. I retired with 25 years of service. How do I calculate my benefit?

A. I imagine that you mean, how will you calculate the special retirement supplement? If so, it can’t be done with any accuracy. What you can do is estimate the amount using this formula: Take your Social Security benefit at age 62 (available from the Social Security Administration), multiply it by your years and full months of service, rounded to the nearest full year, and divide the product by 40.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply