Service computation date


Q. I started in the government on Feb. 21, 1984, as a full-time equivalent temporary employee not to exceed one year but managed to get another job in November of that year — FTE, 18 months to three years — which became a permanent job. FICA was being taken out of my pays. What will be my service computation date for retirement purposes? I will have 29 years next month and be 56 years old. My personnel office is telling me January 1987. I am under FERS.

A. Your agency is correct. Unless you make a deposit for that period of nondeduction service, you won’t get any credit for it in determining your length of service or in your annuity computation.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply