Workers’ compensation and separation


Q. I’m a postal worker under FERS. I started in 1988. I’ve been on workers’ compensation for the last four years. Now they are starting separation procedures.

I guess that’s code for termination, but am I eligible for retirement disability? And if so, do I have to take the retirement disability, or can I continue to collect workers’ compensation.

And if they separate me from the post office, does that mean that my workers’ compensation stops.

A. You’ll have to apply for disability retirement, which your agency is required to help you do. If you are approved for it and you continue to qualify for workers’ compensation, you’ll have to choose between the two benefits. As a rule, workers’ compensation is a better choice financially.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply