Federal retirement contributions from 40 years ago


Q. I worked for the Social Security Administration from 1969 to 1971. I am now 63 and looking to retire at 66. In reviewing my Social Security statement, I see that nothing went into Social Security during those two years. I understand from the SSA that Social Security was not being withheld at that time but employees who worked at SSA received civil service pension benefits. Nothing was paid to me when I left SSA.

How do I find out if I have any earned benefits during that period?

A. You didn’t work for the federal government long enough to be eligible for a retirement benefit. However, if you left your retirement contributions in the retirement fund when you resigned, you would be entitled to a refund. Go to www.opm.gov, click on Find Form(s) and download a copy of Standard Form 2802, Application for Refund of Retirement Benefits. Fill it out and send it to OPM. If you are entitled to a refund, the office will send it to you.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply