CSRS Offset


Q. I am CSRS Offset, having retired in 2001, and have been working in the private sector since that time. I turned 62 last year, applied for, and began drawing Social Security. However, my annuity has not been reduced.  I have been holding out what I had estimated my reduction would be, anticipating that at some point the Social Security Administration would want the money. I have 34 years of substantial earnings, which includes my 14 years as an offset employee. Do these years affect the offset amount? Does this mean my annuity could possibly not be reduced? I have contacted the Office of Personnel Management and the SSA with no results.

A. If you have at least 30 years of substantial earnings under Social Security, you are exempt from the windfall elimination provision.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply