OASDI and taxes


Q. I recently started working part time. I requested taxes be deducted from my payroll.  I note that I am being taxed old age, survivors and disability insurance. Is it a mandatory tax if I’m already retired?

A. Yes. Anyone who has earnings from wages or self-employment is required to pay that tax, even if he or she is already receiving a Social Security benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. How does paying these taxes apply to a Social Security Check (benefit) one is alreading receiving from retirement. Is it worth working after retirement?

    • If you have earnings from wages or self employment, you’ll have to report that fact when you file your annual income tax filing. The additional Social Security credits you earn will result in the amount of your Social Security check being increased.

Leave A Reply