Pension eligibility


Q. My husband, who is 98 years old, worked for the Postal Service in Chicago from 1937 to 1942, then joined the Army to fight in World War II. He took a leave of absence from the Postal Service until the war ended and returned to the Postal Service in 1947 and worked until 1948, when he entered graduate school under the GI Bill. He did not take a refund of his CSRS contribution. Is he eligible for a pension?

A. If what you say is true, he may very well be eligible for an annuity. To find out, he’ll have to complete a Standard Form 2801, Application for Immediate Retirement, and send it to the address on the form. You’ll find the form at, click on Find Form(s).


About Author

1 Comment

  1. If you need help with filing the paperwork, you might want to contact the Illinois Pension Assistance Project. They provide free legal help to anyone with pension issues, as long as the person worked in Illinois. They can be reached at 888-425-6067.

Leave A Reply