Military buyback in FERS


Q. I am a GS employee who was fully employed by my agency from 1992 to July 2004 and then involuntarily recalled to active duty (reservist), title 10, for two years. I am still affiliated with the agency and have an active SF-50. I am also still on active duty, but on voluntary orders with a five-year limit. Can I buy back my Title 10 military service for a FERS employee while on LWOP-US or annual leave while on voluntary military orders? The result would be 14 years of federal service, to include two years of military service and 12 years of civilian service.

A. You may make a deposit for military service only where you are called to active duty in the service of the United States, and then only when you have returned to your civilian position. As a rule, voluntary service isn’t creditable. To be sure of your status, check with your personnel office. If there’s a question, officials there can check with OPM.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply