VSIP and disability


I am a 58-year-old Postal Service employee with 34 years of service who was sent home during the National Reassessment Process. I was thinking about retiring but choosing workers’ compensation over my civil service retirement. I would like to know if I would be eligible to receive the incentive if I did this. I would also like to know if I would be able to elect the spousal annuity if I retired OWCP.

A. No, you wouldn’t. No one who has a disability such that he or she is or would be eligible for disability retirement can receive a Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply