Federal employment transfer


Q. I served 11 years in the Air Force, am 30 percent disabled, worked for USPS for three years and have now been employed by the Department of Defense for two years. What do I need to do to see about transferring back to USPS?

A. You can no more transfer from the Department of the Air Force to the Postal Service than you could have transferred from the Postal Service to the Air Force. What you can do is apply for a job in the Postal Service.

If you still live where you did when you last worked for the Postal Service, you can talk to your old employer. If you don’t, you can talk to someone in the nearest activity’s personnel office.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply