Retirement and reinstatement


Q. I am 64 and plan on retiring out of civil service so that I can move back home. Even though I am not ready to retire, can I leave in my FERS annuity so, if and when I can find another position with another government agency and get reinstated, I can continue with my retirement fund? I plan on working part time, since I have over 40 credits in Social Security to help out.

A. If you simply resigned, left your contributions in the retirement fund, and found another job at a later date, you could be reinstated. However, if you retired, you couldn’t be reinstated. Instead, if you found a job, you would be a re-employed annuitant. As such, with rare exception, the salary of your new position would be offset by the amount of your annuity.


About Author

Leave A Reply