Indian Health Facility and retirement


Q. If you have worked in an Indian Health Facility, can you get credit toward retirement with years served for this work experience?

Even though it was an Indian Health Facility for a federally recognized tribe, I was considered a tribal employee. Now I am a federal employee, and I just wondered if I could get credit for those years served toward my retirement. I am getting older and thinking more about retirement.

A. No.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply