Social Security and CSRS annuity


Q. I retired from the federal government after 30 years of service at the age of 58½. I am CSRS Offset. I have earned the credits necessary for Social Security. However, I think I have to wait until I am 66 to receive the most of my benefits (I am 62), even though I have not worked since leaving service. Am I correct? Or does it matter, since I am not working at all?

A. Your CSRS annuity will be reduced automatically by the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while covered by CSRS Offset. If you want to continue receiving the same amount of income, you’ll need to apply for a Social Security benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply