Deferred annuity


Q. I was separated by a reduction in force in March 1996. I left all retirement dollars in CSRS. I have more than 21 years of combined federal service from the Department of the Army and Department of Energy. I am 56. Can I apply for a deferred retirement at age 60 (with over 20 years service) since my separation from DOE was due to a reduction in force, or do I have to wait until age 62 to apply for my deferred retirement?

A. As a former CSRS employee, your only option is to apply for a deferred annuity at age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply