Early retirement


Q. I am a federal employee with the Department of Agriculture who will turn 54 on March 18. I have been with USDA for 35 years and eight months. I understand, under CSRS, that the Office of Personnel Management has to approve early retirement for the federal agency I work for before I can take it. Is there is an option under CSRS where I could get early retirement to care for an elderly family member without requiring overall agency approval from OPM?

A. No, there isn’t.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply