VSIP and Social Security


Q. I am a FERS employee with 23+ years of federal service and 62 years old. My agency is offering Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay to eligible employees, including those who are retirement-eligible. Would the incentive reduce the amount of Social Security I can draw this year?

A. VSIPs are considered earned income. To find out if accepting one would affect your Social Security benefit, go to www.socialsecurity.gov/retire2/rule.htm and see how the “first year rule” would apply to your situation.


About Author

Leave A Reply